Monday, April 8, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to my little spot on the web.

I wanted to start a blog to chronicle my life - not that it's exceptionally interesting, but I want somewhere to post the good, the bad and the day to day that life gives us.

The name I've chosen for this collection of what will soon be short stories about my family's daily life is Will Run For Autism. There are two reasons I chose this name:
  • I like to run and my non-runner friends (read: all of my friends) get tired of hearing about it
  • My almost 5-year-old daughter has autism

About Me:
Well, I am really just me. If you were to label me, it would read something like: Thirty-something year-old mom to 4-year-old with autism, Wife to thirty-something year-old husband, Air Force wife, Work from home independent contractor who loves running, traveling, cooking, Mexican food, playing bunko and going to the beach. 

What you can expect to read from my blog:
Running and autism, obviously!

I took up running after my daughter was born to drop weight quickly. I decided it didn't suck as much as I thought I'd perceived it to all prior 20-some years of my life. Nearly 5 years later, I'm still running and only started recently increasing my distance, running in the Disney Princess Half Marathon this past February as well as yesterday, finishing the Pensacola Beach Half Marathon. I'm sure I'll be writing about my mileage, reviews on energy aids, struggles with runner's knee, my favorite shoes...basically, anything running related! 

My daughter was diagnosed with autism around age 2. She's high functioning, verbal and makes OK eye contact - to the point where people don't realize she's autistic. Guess the last 3 years of therapy have truly worked wonders. I plan to write about our triumphs and struggles as we continue on our autism journey along with her hilarious one-liners she sometimes has, like the time she informed us she had stuffed a bunny down her pants. (Don't ask - not yet. That's material for another post.)

I don't know how often I'll be updating this thing, but I would like to eventually get to where I'm posting short entries fairly regularly.

Never hesitate to ask me a question about anything. I am an open book and I especially love to chat about autism. When you've met one child with autism, you've met one child with autism. They are all different and I would love to learn more about your own experiences with spectrum children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment