Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gulf Coast *hearts* Boston Fun Run Recap: 4.4 in 44 4 Boston


Last night, my house was full of ladies and laughter and it lasted into the wee hours of the morning. I finally crawled into bed at 2:30am. When my alarm went off at 6:57am - I can never set my alarm to a time with a nice round number ending in 0 or 5 - I thought it was part of my dream since I was only about 4 hours into sleep by then.

Somehow I woke up and managed to get myself and the kiddo downstairs to get her ready and out the door for school, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. In fact, I don't really have a memory of anything that happened before 9am today and even after that, it's sketchy.

I managed to wrap up my work for the day around 3 so I could take a wonderful 20 minute nap before I had to start getting ready for our local running store's Boston benefit run and fundraiser. All I know is when the alarm went off after that nap, there was no way 20 minutes had passed - more like 20 seconds! It was enough to refresh me with enough energy to get me through the run.

I started the long process of getting my feet blister-proofed with the additional task of wrapping my semi-fresh tattoo foot in saran wrap since the roads had been wet with it raining most of the afternoon. Finally I set off for the bar the runners were meeting at. I went in and signed the waiver, collected my "bib" which I did not wear since it was printed on cardstock and highly uncomfortable.


I made sure to get there early because I have this thing about waiting in long lines...I'd rather get somewhere early to avoid a long line and then wait around forever than have to stand in line. Yeah, weird, I know! While we were waiting, my husband took a picture of me, which I had to tinker with on Instagram while killing all this time I had.


Finally they called an 8-minute warning and we all headed to the starting line. The turnout was wonderful, over 400 participants.


This was a participant's choice race as we could choose our preferred length from 1 to 4.4 miles. I opted for the full 4.4 course, which was an out and back along the side streets of Gulfport. This was a very easy and flat course, predominantly in a residential neighborhood once we left our starting area downtown.

This race meant a lot to me. It felt good to be able to get out and take action and run for a good cause. Nope, my run itself doesn't help a single soul anywhere in the world, but it was a great way to bring people together over the love of a sport to raise funds for a cause. I donated money and bought the t-shirt. The Irish Coast Pub which was the meeting point also donated $3 per runner and gave each one of us a free drink. Then we got together and ran because well....that's what we do. We didn't have to run, but for those of us who don't know what we can do, we do something we know and love to do.

My kiddo was waiting for me at the finish line and met me with a big high five and then ran the last 10 yards with me to cross the finish line with me. I would have liked to have finished right at or under 10:00 min/mile but I'll take 10:03 without a single complaint:


Overall, this was a great run for a great cause and I'm proud to have been a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that shirt!!!! I want one!!! Great job on your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am thrilled I was able to get one of the shirts! I think several sizes sold out.

      Delete