Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Break time!

Tonight I went and got both of my tattoos touched up. With regards to working out, they're in unfortunate places where my clothing rubs on them. So, I'm taking a workout break for at least a good 5 days while they begin the healing process and then easing back into it with some low impact exercises so I don't sweat.

I always have a tough time with taking a break. I just feel so guilty. I rarely take breaks, usually only for vacation or illness, but if it gives you any idea how damn stubborn I can be, I had the flu and attempted a 9 mile run anyway when I was training last fall. I only made it 4.5 before my body literally couldn't do it anymore. That battle was purely physical because mentally I wasn't giving up until my body gave out. The very next morning I tested positive for type B influenza. My body felt like it had been hit by a truck and yet I still felt guilty over the next few days for taking a break from training and other general workouts I was doing between training runs.

I'm going to try to enjoy the next few days without guilt, but that's easier said than done. I want my tattoos to heal properly this time and I know part of why they didn't heal right last time was because my sports bra and shoes were rubbing against the relatively fresh ink and scabs. The sweat didn't help either.

Not running is going to be hard. I've been running for nearly 5 years and it's just part of my weekly life now. But I've committed to 2 full weeks of no running, which kills me because I wanted to run in a 10k next weekend, but I'll get over it. It's 10 days out - I may be able to run it if I'm healing well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hope everyone has had a happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment